Fedora 22 is here!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri May 29 18:43:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 22:36:07 +0200,
  Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, my first preupgrade experience was okayish, but I was also very
>new to linux then.  However by the time preupgrade had resolved its
>issues, I had already moved on to yum.  I just find it a bit surprising
>that it is not *one of* the supported methods (meaning, QA tested),
>specially since it works so reliably and with such short downtime.

Some releases there are changes that can't easily be done while the
system is live (e.g. the /usr move change). Having the system boot into
a separate image that can handle the change makes these changes easier
to do.

dnf is a lot better than yum at handling complicated dependencies. I have
seen dnf be able to do partial updates in cases where yum would give up.
The main issues I have with dnf is that skip broken is only used for updates
and not installs and it often is not providing as much information as it
could when there are issues.