How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sat May 30 13:01:57 UTC 2015

On Sat, 30 May 2015 00:14:56 -0500
Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how to find out the package that provides the font
> called "Fixed 16" in Fedora 22. The font existed in Fedora 21.
> Installing the same packages in F22 that were in F21 has made this
> font disappear (actually, I fedup-ed and nothing font-related that I
> can tell was dropped or obsoleted.)

I have oodles of fonts installed.  I searched for a font called 'Fixed
16' and did not find it.

I suspect that you are seeing this name in an interface, and that it is
a generic name rather than the actual name of the font.  If you still
have a system where this font is installed, do a find on that system
under /usr.  Something like
find /usr -iname '*font*' | less
should bring up every font file on the system.  Within the less page do
a search on 16.  That will show you every 16 pixel? / kern? font.  One
of those will probably be the font you are looking for.

Then do a rpm -qf [path to font]/[font name] to find the package it
belongs to.

Failing that approach, what is the application that uses this font?
Look in the source and configuration for that application to see which
font it is actually using, behind the scenes.

This must be an exceptional font for you to trouble yourself over it to
such an extent.  I find the terminus fonts to have the same
characteristic.  They are wonderful fonts, and the care that went into
crafting them shows in their presentation.  Perhaps they might
substitute.

terminus-fonts
terminus-fonts-console