I'm shocked, shocked!

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sat May 30 17:48:57 UTC 2015

On 30/05/15 01:44 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 05/30/2015 11:37 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> To see that the "predictable" network name for my
>> one and only ethernet port has changed once again.
>> On fedora 22 eno1 is what used to be em1.
>>
>> I have officially had it, I'm going to eradicate
>> this scourge and go back to eth0 so I don't have to
>> change all my iptables and ifconfig files every
>> time I upgrade fedora (or sometimes when I merely
>> get a new systemd update).
> Hey Tom,
> In my thread 'WHat seriously ails Fedora', I said, among other things:
>
> stop fixing what is not broken.
>
> Yet I find this is going on all the time.
>
> I am so fracking sick of this, I am looking to
> installing a distro of freebsd.
> I do not know if fbsd suffers the same shenanigans.
> I have enough fricking distractions than to deal with
> idiots who change what works to something that
> breaks so many settings in the system
>
> I hope this dwindles fedora users.

I dealt with this by setting names I want in
/etc/udev/rules/70-persistent-net.rules to match MAC to device names
(and then the name to IP in the usual ifcfg-X files).

Little less drastic than switch to BSD, where really, you're trading one
set of headaches for another.

--
Digimer
access to education?