How do I really prevent /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:17:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Alchemist <raimiiic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> In some message a while back the claim was made that
>>> creating a /etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf that was
>>> empty would override the systemd installed
>>> /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf, but I can
>>> state positively that doesn't work, the systemd
>>> setting is still in force.
>>>
>>> What does work is (as root):
>>>
>>> rm -f /usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf
>>>
>>> but that file will come back if there is a systemd
>>> update.
>>>
>>> So is there really a way to get the default
>>> kernel core file pattern to stick around even
>>> with systemd updates?
>>
>> How about trying a symlink of "/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf" to
>> "/dev/null", systemctl-mask-style?
>
> Don't use empty or nulled files. Sysctl variable names must be the same, to
> override variable=value stored in /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*.

I did say "try."

While it's true that you usually override a sysctl value with a
variable=value pair, symlinking a conf file in "/etc/sysctl.d/" to
"/dev/null" overrides a conf file with the same name in
"/usr/lib/sysctl.d/" (I've just tried it) in the same way that
symlinks to "/dev/null" in "/etc/systemd/system/",
"/etc/systemd/network/", and "/etc/udev/rues.d/" override same-named
files in their corresponding libdir.