distcc only builds locally when using rpmbuild

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun May 31 12:12:03 UTC 2015

I've got distcc working correctly, when I run a build myself. I see the
build jobs getting distributed just fine.

However, when I use rpmbuild, all builds appear to be running locally.

ps shows the maximum number of "/usr/bin/distcc /usr/bin/g++ [options]"
processes running locally, that I but nothing gets distributed to other
hosts.

I've got %_smp_mflags set correctly to the number of build jobs that can run
in parallel, to the sum total of jobs that can be distributed via
/etc/distcc/hosts. Counting the number of distcc processes, I see that the
right number of jobs have started, but only the local build jobs are
running, and nothing gets distributed.

There must me something in the environment that's doing this, because when I
make the build myself, it works correctly.