USB drive renamed during F21-F22 upgrade

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun May 31 22:27:21 UTC 2015

It looks as though when I upgraded from F21 Server to F22 Server using
fedup, the identifier for my USB attached drive in /dev/disk/by-id
changed.  As a result, the entry in /etc/fstab that mounted that drive
failed at boot with no apparent warning.  Files intended to be written
to that drive went to / instead and filled the root partition.

I don't recall why that disk was mounted by id in the first place, but I
also don't understand why its id would change and how I should have
handled that during the upgrade.

Any thoughts, enlightenment, etc., appreciated.  Also, what's the right
way to set up automounting on a server that doesn't run a desktop
environment?
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences