F23 - "dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23" and First Impression

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Nov 1 07:49:32 UTC 2015

People,

I have been using Fedora since the beginning and only on a few occasions
have I tried fedup or equivalent when upgrading from one version to the
next - mostly, being a bit obsessive, I have re-installed from scratch
with a XFCE Live CD and reinstalled my Qmail MTA etc etc.  So, although
the initial install of the OS was always very quick, I was still
installing odd, infrequently used packages weeks and even months later.
Just now I bit the bullet and for the first time tried the new option:

   dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23

and from rebooting F22 to the new F23 login prompt took just 48 minutes!
  Well done and thanks a lot everyone concerned with Fedora development!
It is a great system!

During the 48 minutes I was a little anxious and kept watching the drive
LED and the occasional screen messages to make sure things were still
working but the process eventually finished happily - I did notice some
"failed" messages during the process but of what I saw it didn't look
like they were likely to bother me much - we shall see . .

Thanks again!

Regards,

Phil.
--