fedup to F22 issues

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 01:11:44 UTC 2015

On 10/31/2015 01:53 AM, Stephen Davies wrote:
> On 31/10/15 12:32, Stephen Davies wrote:
>>
>> 1. PostgreSQL databases were not upgraded from 9.3 to 9.4 and subsequent
>> attempts to do this manually fail due to locale differences (AU vs US).
>> (I have requested help on the PostgreSQL list).

I think you want to install the "postgresql-upgrade" package, and then
run "pg_upgrade".

>> 2. Amavisd-new no longer works due to issues with PERL.
>> This seems to be a result of updating PERL from 5.18 to 5.20 breaking
>> a bunch
>> of modules.
>> I thought that I had resolved these by following the hints in cpan error
>> messages but cannot install Net::LibIDN because idna.h is missing.
>> I am forced to run without spam or virus checking as a result.

Whenever you can, avoid installing modules from CPAN.  They will
probably always break on a platform upgrade.  Instead, install the
module from rpm:

dnf install perl-Net-LibIDN

>> 3. All of my local sendmail aliases disappeared causing many inbound
>> emails to
>> be rejected.
>> I manually rebuilt /etc/mail/aliases to fix this.

Question?

>> 4. After rebooting to F22, I had only one workspace.
>> I reconfigured to four via settings but now I get apparently random
>> blank
>> screen with just the mouse cursor visible. Not even a task bar.
>> The only way that I have found to get my work spaces back is to
>> logout and
>> login again.

I've seen some users have similar problems on GNOME upgrades.  It
appears to be gnome-settings-daemon crashing in the cases I've seen, and
the only way I've found to clear it is to remove .config/dconf/user,
which nukes *all* of the settings in dconf.  It sucks,  but GNOME
decided they wanted a single binary configuration store, so...

>> 5. Some fonts (particularly within Wine apps??) have changed and are
>> much less
>> readable than before.
>> MyHeritage Family Tree Builder is one example. I have no idea which
>> fonts were
>> used in F21 nor in F22.

Can't help there.  Sorry.