How should local repo packages be bootstrapped after an upgrade?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 5 00:34:59 UTC 2015

I have a bunch of packages I build and maintain, which get installed from an
internal createrepo-ed repo.

Normally, a new Fedora release that breaks binary ABI results in those
packages being temporarily broken until I rebuild them on the new release,
and ugprade them. Which is fine. Until now, fedup simply logged the broken
dependencies that will exist after an upgrade, but it proceeds and updates
all packaging to the new release. Afterwards, I just rebuilt and upgrade my
packages, verify that everything is kosher with repoquery --unsatisfied, and
close the books on the upgrade.

Looks like dnf has become a bit more combative, in F23.

It appears that dnf system-upgrade simply refused to update a bunch of
packages, in order to preserve the binary ABI compatibility with my own
packages. That's fine and dandy, but this leaves, apparently, no practical
way to bootstrap my packages.

dnf distro-sync refuses to update the remaining system packages that system-
upgrade skipped over, unless I use --allowerasing, which ends up removing my
packages, in order for the upgrade to preserve all dependencies.

Now, after removing my packages, I can proceed and rebuild them, but I find
this an extra hassle that's not really needed.

For the future, I'd like to know if there is a way to go back to the
previous behavior, and proceed with an upgrade to a new release, and ignore
broken dependencies of existing packages for which no update is available,
at the time of the upgrade.