F23: nouveau randomly freezing screen

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:40:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 09:51 -0500, Kevin wrote:
> Hi, my screen freezes on an irregular basis. At first I thought it
> was
> only when going in or out of full screen of a video but yesterday
> even
> trying to open gnome settings can freeze me. When this occurs the
> rest
> of the system continues to operate but keyboard and mouse are
> useless.
> After rebooting and looking in journalctl, nouveau is often at the
> scene of the crime (three episodes pasted below).
>
> I tried installing the nvidia unix drivers (355.11, 352.55) as I had
> success with in F22 but both were worse in F23; the boot process
> would
> freeze and the screen would flash violently and would never get to
> the
> login screen.  Thanks in advance for any help.

To use the proprietary Nvidia drivers you have to downgrade the X
server to 1.17 (F23 supplies 1.18):

sudo dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg

You can then install the Nvidia 353.55 driver package from Nvidia's
site. I did this recently and haven't had a freeze since.

poc