No sound on Fedora 21

Emmett Culley lst_manage at webengineer.com
Tue Nov 10 18:36:31 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 07:32 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> I am running Fedora 21 and after the latest updates I have no sound
> on my machine.
>
> aplay -l shows no sound cards. Mixers such as alsamixer show only Pulseaudio
> master and the output is full.
>
> Can someone suggest how to debug this ?
>
> Thanks

This happened to me as well.  Then I noticed that I was booting to a old Fedora 22 kernel (4.0.1-100.  Upon investigation I found some strange entries in grub.conf.  Strange in that there were references to the Fedroa 22 kernel.

Removing those reference didn't help.  Neither did selecting an older (F21) kernel from the list help, as the system would not boot at all.  I was left with a dracut prompt.

I lost sound, and all USB support.  Plus my network failed to start as it appeared that bridge support was missing.

Finally I installed grub again on /dev/sda and now I am booting to 4.1.10-100-f21 as expected and everything works again.

Emmett