xorg 1.18 released

alan at clueserver.org alan at clueserver.org
Wed Nov 11 17:14:40 UTC 2015

> I see the official announcement of xorg server 1.18:
>
> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2015-November/002655.html
>
> Anyone have any clues about when the final release
> will show up in fedora 23, and vastly more important,
> when nvidia binary drivers will show up now that 1.18
> is official?

No idea.

> P.S. I'd vastly prefer to use the nouveau open
> source driver, but my maxwell card won't talk
> nouveau unless nvidia releases the firmware
> in some form nouveau can use, so I'm stuck
> waiting for nvidia either way :-).

There is a guide to installing the NVidia drivers on Fedora 23. It
involves back-reving xorg to 1.17.  (1.18 is not stable using Nouveau
drivers on my 2 gig NVidia card. I get some weird texture corruption.)

The install guide is at:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

It worked pretty well for me. I did have to add --allowerasing on the
command to back-rev xorg.