dnf gets stuck on poor connections

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:30:42 UTC 2015

Hi Sylvia, Ralf,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 01:22:29PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 11/13/2015 12:53 PM, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:
> >Mmmhh... My connection isn't very reliable either but dnf doesn't get stuck.
> >Maybe you should update packages in small bunches instead of
> >everything altogether.

It's not just commands where access to the repo is needed.  Even
commands like search hangs.  I think the makecache service is locking
the database and hanging.  Since it hangs, my interactive command waits
for the lock to be released indefinitely.  I can't prove this though,
this is my hunch based on the symptoms I see.

> I am not on a poor connection, either, but I am occasionally experiencing
> this problem as well.

Okay good, I'm not alone then.

> In most cases the cause seems to be dnf's mirror selection to prefer broken
> repos and/or poorly accessible mirrors, but I have also seen cases, when dnf
> hung without any feedback for hours.

Simple search or clean commands should not hang if this was the reason.

Thanks for the responses so far, any other thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu