How can Fedora determine the maximum speed of network computer cards?

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Nov 13 23:31:04 UTC 2015

On 11/13/2015 03:08 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks to all respondents! I could now determine that my network card
>>> is a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet, and now it is clear why the speed test
>>> (http://www.speedtest.net/) shows a download speed of just 85 Mbps
>>> when my contracted speed is 120 Mbps.
>>
>> 85Mbps sounds about right for a 100baseT NIC on one of those tests
>> (they typically use TCP). You can always verify your type of NIC using
>> ethtool.
>>
>> My laptop has a 100baseT port. When I need gigabit, I use a USB3 gigabit
>> dongle. Note that you need USB3 for this--USB1.1 and USB2 aren't fast
>> enough.
>
> Thanks, Rick. The idea of using a USB3 gigabit dongle is great --
> better than replacing the network card!

One bit of advice...buy a good one. Don't get one of those el-cheapo
units. I use a "j5create" unit typically used with Macs (silver metallic
cover).
-    They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you'll hear    -
-   Satanic messages, but if you play it forwards, it will install   -
-           Windows...which means Satan is in your system.           -