dnf keepcache

Honza Šilhan jsilhan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 10:02:28 UTC 2015

> From: "Michael Schwendt" <mschwendt at gmail.com>
>
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:55:16 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> > > On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:08:54 +0100, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> > > $ man dnf.conf
> > >
> > >   keepcache
> > >      boolean
> > >
> > >      Keep downloaded packages in the cache. If set to False and pack‐
> >                                                        ^^^^^^^
> > >      ages have not been installed they will still persist until  next
> > >      successful transaction. The default is False.
> > >

> > Is this an error in the man page or, more likely,
> > is my understanding of keepcache faulty?
>
> It means that even for the keepcache=0 default, downloaded packages
> remain in the cache until they have been installed successfully. Then
> the cache will be emptied.
>
> With keepcache=1 nothing is removed from the cache ever.

Exactly, thanks Michael for explanation. I've updated the docs in the upstream
to be more clear.

> From: "Porfirio Andres Paiz Carrasco" <porfiriopaiz at gmail.com>
> su -c "echo 'keepcache=true' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf"
> su -c "echo 'deltarpm=true' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf"
> su -c "echo 'fastestmirror=true' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf"

You should use config manager for that [1] ;).

> From: "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203 at freenet.de>
>
> In most cases the cause seems to be dnf's mirror selection to prefer
> broken repos and/or poorly accessible mirrors, but I have also seen
> cases, when dnf hung without any feedback for hours.

There were some users who experienced these symptoms but mostly during some time
frame when servers were down. File a bug and attach relevant data to the bug report [2],
please.

Honza

[1] http://dnf-plugins-core.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config_manager.html
[2] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/wiki/Bug-Reporting#connection-issue