How much cache does keepcache keeps?

Sudhir Khanger ml at sudhirkhanger.com
Tue Nov 17 04:28:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

I learned it the hard way that dnf undo/rollback will fail if packages to rollback to are missing. DNF devs don't think it is their problem that packages go missing. Even keepcache is set to false so that the chances of losing packages go high. I don't follow the logic that you write a feature but it's requirements are left to be fulfilled by fate of luck.

> keepcache
> Keeps downloaded packages in the cache when set to True.

How much cache is kept? Is there a size limit? Is there a number of packages limit? Is there a number-of-versions-of-a-package limit?

> Even if it is set to False and packages have not been installed they will still persist until next successful transaction. The default is False.

Does that mean if I upgrade to pkg-1.0 to pkg-2.0 to pkg-3.0, pkg-1.0 is kept when it is upgraded to pkg-2.0 and when pkg-2.0 is upgraded to pkg-3.0 it deletes pkg-1.0 and keeps pkg-2.0 in cache? Basically the last version is kept and all previous are deleted. How is this changed when a user sets keepcache to 1?

It probably seems it is best to setup dnf-local-plugin which keeps all the packages ever installed on my system.

Regards,
Sudhir Khanger,
sudhirkhanger.com.