How much cache does keepcache keeps?

Porfirio Andres Paiz Carrasco porfiriopaiz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 07:36:25 UTC 2015

> On Monday 16 Nov 2015 11:23:30 PM Porfirio Andres Paiz Carrasco wrote:
>> So the unique limit you have is delimited by the space you have to
>> store data on your /var/cache/dnf, many people recommends having /var/
>> in a dedicated partition, even on a dedicated disk. The are not limit
>> on the size apart from the size of the disk/partition, there are not
>> limit on the number of packages nor it's numbers of versions.
>>

> Do you mean that keepcache=1 will keep all versions of all packages, even from
> 3rd party repos and manually installed rpms, in cache '/var/cache/dnf' forever
> as long as storage permits it?
>
> That sounds exactly like python-dnf-plugins-extras-local. What is the
> difference between keepcache=1 and the local plugin.
>
> Can the cache location be saved in any other location like home folder which
> as a lot more space than / folder which in my case is only 20 GiB?
>
>> > It probably seems it is best to setup dnf-local-plugin which keeps all the
>> > packages ever installed on my system.
>>
>> You may keep all of the installed package un /var/cache, but not
>> having many diferent version installed at the same time.
>>

> I am not very clear on what you are trying to say. dnf-plugins-extras-local
> will create a local repo, at a location of your choice, and keep all packages
> including all versions ever installed/updated on your system.

This is how I created local repos on a usb with the cache in the
memorables yum days. Slides are in spanish:
https://yn1v.fedorapeople.org/Slides/repos_en_usb.pdf

This is a video tutorial based on the slides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnrvXbFxJfY

I have not tried to create a local repo using dnf, I don't know how
dnf will handle this task or if dnf is able to handle it, I will test
it and share the news in this thread.