Scale grub resolution on a HiDef screen (Fedora 23)?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Tue Nov 17 18:44:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 08:49:20 -0700
CS DBA <cs_dba at consistentstate.com> wrote:

> Tried multiple resolutions, as well as a bigger font via these steps:
>
> |1)  grub2-mkfont -s 32 -o /boot/grub2/DejaVuSansMono.pf2
> /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf|
>
> 2)  Edit the //etc/default/grub/ file adding a line:
> |GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub2/DejaVuSansMono.pf2
>
> 3) |Update GRUB configuration with:
> |sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>

> 4)  reboot
>

> Still no luck...
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file.

In the function called load_video, put in the following lines at the
very end of the function.  There is a logical branch, and you want
these to apply no matter which branch it takes.

set gfxmode=1280x720  [or whatever resolution you want]
set gfxpayload=keep

Then in each kernel stanza, just after the load_video call, put in
set gfxpayload=keep
It's already there on my system, but might be different on yours.

A long time ago I had to play around with this on an nvidia system,
because the binary driver doesn't support fbcon, and so it was
difficult to get the console at the same resolution as the X system.
This worked for me, but might need tweaking for you.  I haven't done
this for several versions of Fedora, and this is from memory, so it has
probably changed. A web search should give the latest syntax to
use.

If this works, you'll probably have to redo it after each kernel
install, because it will likely revert to the original configuration.