packages in /var/lib/system-upgrade

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Nov 19 00:35:33 UTC 2015

On 11/18/2015 04:25 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Rick Stevens writes:
>
>> On 11/18/2015 02:49 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am plenty of file in
>>> /var/lib/system-upgrade
>>>
>>> Why ?
>>
>> The system upgrade process downloads all the RPMs needed to upgrade the
>> system to that directory, then creates a symlink called
>> "/system-upgrade" to point at it. When the system reboots in the
>> upgrade mode, it uses the symlink to actually upgrade the system.
>>
>> If your upgrade is complete and clean, I think you can remove the
>> files in /var/lib/system-upgrade.
>
> This should happen automatically on the first boot after a successfull
> upgrade.

Didn't happen on 2 of the 3 machines I updated from F21 to F22, but
perhaps there were crumbs left over from the upgrade. They all booted
and run just fine and I don't think I saw any weirdness, but perhaps
there was something the first boot didn't like. My machines do tend to
become sorta "muddy" over time (I beat the kapok out of them) and
anything's possible.

No, I haven't upgraded to F23 yet. Still waiting for the dust to settle
a bit more.