uefi pxe not working

Louis Garcia louisgtwo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 04:00:45 UTC 2015

I copied this procedure with fedora. My client did not like shim.efi but
booted fine with grubx64.efi.  grub gave me a prompt instead of a menu even
though I had grub.cfg. Can I get a menu with pxe?

my tftpboot looks like     tftpboot / images / pxeboot / vmlnuz
                                                / images / pxeboot /
initrd.img
                                                / uefi / fedora/grub.cfg
                                                / uefi / grubx64.efi
                                                / uefi / shim.efi
grub.cfg  looks like:
---
set timeout=600
set default=0

menuentry 'Fedora Workstation' {
     linuxefi /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz ip=dhcp noipv6
     initrdefi /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
}
---

/etc/dnsmasq.conf  looks like:
---
# Configuration file for dnsmasq:

# Turn on the debugging
log-dhcp

# Don't function as a DNS server
port=0

# kill multicast
dhcp-option=vendor:PXEClient,6,2b

# This range(s) is for the public interface, where dnsmasq functions
# as a proxy DHCP server providing boot information but no IP leases.
# Any ip in the subnet will do, so you may just put your server NIC ip here.
dhcp-range=192.168.0.5,proxy

# Set the boot filename for netboot/PXE. You will only need this if you
want to
# boot machines over the network and you will need the built in TFTP server.

#pxe-prompt="What system shall I netboot?", timeout before first available
action is taken:
pxe-prompt="Press F8 for the Menu.", 5

#Loads <tftp-root>/pxelinux.0 from dnsmasq TFTP server.
pxe-service=x86PC, "Install Fedora Workstation, (BIOS)", bios/pxelinux

#Loads <tftp-root>/uefi/shim.efi from dnsmasq TFTP server.
pxe-service=X86-64_EFI, "Boot From Network, (UEFI)", uefi/grubx64
pxe-service=BC_EFI, "Boot From Network, (UEFI)", uefi/grubx64

# Enable dnsmasq's built-in TFTP server
enable-tftp

# Set the root directory for files available via FTP.
tftp-root=/srv/tftpboot
---