FYI: ransomware virus on Linux (From FreeBSD Users mailing list)

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Nov 20 04:53:12 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 09:34 PM, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 08:25 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>> Try
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2015-November/subject.html
>>
>> ans scroll down the page looking for the subject line:
>> ransomware virus on Linux
> Old news.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-fix-linux-encoder-ransomware/

I looked at the article on zdnet. It does not mention another Linux
routine that I heard about on one of the mailing lists. (I don't remember
which one.) This other routine is called randm-C. As I followed the
thread, it mentioned that BitDefender has a program that will
_stop it_ but _not_ restore your files. One of the Linux forums
commented  that only servers need worry, the hackers won't
bother with the home user. I don't know if I believe this.

(I have used BitDefender on Windows machines for several years,
and it does seem to be a useful program; I haven't caught any virus in
that time, but I don't boot up  a Windows system very often, and
I don't leave it up for a long time when I do.)

--doug