Speaking of black screens

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 21:56:26 UTC 2015

I only fooled with this for about 5 minutes, but I'm getting a
black screen with GDM when I login. I just got the fedora 23
nvidia 340xx driver from rpmfusion which finally supports
xorg server 1.18 (nouveau won't work at all with my card),
and when I login with gdm, this is what happens
on the 3 or 4 tries I gave it while I had time to fool
with it:

I get the GDM login prompt drawn correctly, I select
the user, type the password and login.

The screen then goes black (or dark gray, anyway) and
the mouse pointer can move, but nothing else happens.
I've waited two or three minutes with no change.

I decide to go to a console screen and see what is
running, so I hit Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Boom! I instantly get a gnome3 desktop. If I do
Ctrl-Alt-F1, the desktop is still there.

I have no idea if it ever switched to console 2 or
not.

Just curious if anyone else has seen anything like this.

When I have time to fool with it I'll try ssh instead of
a console switch to poke around and try switching
login managers and desktops to see if they all have
the problem.