[Fedora 23] Installing KDE Plasma as a second Desktop Environment! [bug]

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 23 14:30:02 UTC 2015

On 11/23/15 21:12, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 20:27 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Does ConsoleKit still exist in F23?
>>>

>> Surprise, surprise.  Looks like not....
>>
>> I know that a simple "startx" seems to always start GNOME.
> I think that's because /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
> checks /etc/sysconfig/desktop which has Gnome as the default.
>
>> It looks like simply creating a ~/.xinitrc file containing "startkde"
>> is sufficient in F23.
> I don't have a .xinitrc, despite running KDE. In fact I haven't
> changed /etc/sysconfig/desktop either (though it might be worth
> trying). So something is setting it up, I just haven't worked out
> exactly what.

Right, you wouldn't have one unless you created it since it certainly isn't needed when
one is using a Display Manager such as gdm, kdm, or sddm.

> This stuff is just too encrusted with historical hangovers, scripts
> calling scripts calling scripts ... that it's quite a challenge to
> figure it out.

Yeah.  Well at least I now know how to start a given DE from the console and runlevel 3 if
need be.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.