[Fedora 23] Installing KDE Plasma as a second Desktop Environment! [bug]

Andrew R Paterson andy.paterson at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 23 19:23:48 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 24 November 2015 02:27:58 Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> If I install two or more different desktops, which display manager
> >> should it enable by default, then?  Does it ask you that question?
>
> Allegedly, on or about 23 November 2015, Paul Cartwright sent:
> > I switched from GDM to lightdm because I use mate and enlightenment.
> > They seem to like lightdm better.. It is easy to switch between them
> > using systemctl . Enable/disable.. I found the answer by googling
> > "how-to change GDM to lightdm" ..
>
> That wasn't the point of my question, though.  Another person made a
> point that Ubuntu made it easier to install more than display manager.
> I was asking whether it also made it easier to use a particular one.
> Unless it asked you which one to use, as you installed more than one,
> then it doesn't really make it any easier.  You're still faced with the
> same problem - manually selecting the one you want, afterwards.

I must be missing the point here, but I have always found that after
installing multiple desktops and leaving gdm as the login manager, when you
are asked for the password on login there is a little gear cog icon which if
you click on brings up a menu of the different desktops you have installed -
for instance I have CDE, GNOME, KDE .....
However, I am running FC21, but as I say this gdm feature has been around for
as long as I can remember.
Andy