rsyslog problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Nov 25 11:59:43 UTC 2015

I'm running Fedora-23/KDE, and am trying to activate /var/log/messages,
but when I run "sudo systemctl restart rsyslog" I get the entry
  Nov 25 11:40:35 william rsyslogd-2027: imjournal:
    fscanf on state file   `/var/lib/rsyslog/imjournal.state' failed
    [v8.10.0 try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]
in /var/log/messages and no further messages appear there,
although "sudo systemctl status rsyslog"
says the rsyslog service is still running;
and I see nothing relevant in "sudo journalctl -u rsyslog",
just the information that the service has re-started.

The URL www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 I'm advised to read
says "This is a very generic error code that happens
whenever some unexpected IO error happens",
which is not very helpful.

Has anyone managed to get information in /var/log/messages
as in pre-systemd days?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net