rsyslog problem

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:33:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:59:43 +0000
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get information in /var/log/messages
> as in pre-systemd days?

From my notes on restoring sanity in fedora 22:

edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf set Storage=none, ForwardToSyslog=yes

install rsyslog if it isn't there yet.

Create the file /etc/rsyslog.d/sd-socket.conf with this line in it:
$AddUnixListenSocket /run/systemd/journal/syslog

uncomment these lines in /etc/rsyslog.conf

$ModLoad imuxsock
$SystemLogSocketName /run/systemd/journal/syslog

On fedora 22 that combination gets me plain text log files
and nothing but plain text log files, leaving the annoying
systemd log mechanism as nothing but an agent to forward
the logs to rsyslog.

I haven't tried it on fedora 23 yet, so I have no idea
if they have added more roadblocks to be navigated.