BlueFish - how to access a remote server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 27 01:34:24 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 26 November 2015, Angelo Moreschini sent:

> I would use BlueFish to rebuild my web site.
>
> I build this site some years ago using "Front Page" in Windows
> environment.

Possibly it used "webdav" as the communications protocol.  It's been
over a decade since I even looked at what Front Page did (beyond create
a pile of garbage inside a webpage), but webdav is/was the typical
protocol used by editors that directly worked with HTML files on the
webserver, rather than do what I, and many others, do:

Run a webserver on our own computer.
Edit webpage files on our on computer.
Check that the website appears to do what it's meant to.
Upload the changes to our WWW server.

> In the meantime I changed Windows to Fedora, so I would like to do
> this renovation using BlueFish (that I already installed).
> ...However I have problem to access to  my remote site, from
> BlueFish..

I'm not familiar with BlueFish, but I'd suggest you'd need to work out
what protocol you used to use with Front Page, find out what protocols
your website supports, then see what options BlueFish is compatible
with.  And I'd start by looking at guides for your webhost, in
particular, rather than general web publishing guides.

The webdav protocol used HTTP, there's various flavours of FTP that can
be used, and SSH, etc.

> It look to me it possible to do my work using BlueFish, because I took
> a look to  tutorial :
> http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/movies...ote_files.html that show
> exactly how to do what I need.

Uugggh!  Flash tutes.  Gawd, I have to sit through a prolonged talk,
with no way to go at my own speed...

> But the images  showed in that tutorial appear to be a little
> different from these that I see on my computer..: my opinion about
> this difference is that the tutorial show BlueFish to work in "Window
> environment"  instead that in Linux environment (????)
> So the tutorial could be not good in my case.

Well, the only differences that I can think of, off the top of my head,
between Windows and Linux that ought to make a difference, are that
Windows' local file paths have backslashes in them, and that Linux is
case-sensitive (type your filenames with the exact same capitalisms
locally and remotely - for ease of typing, do everything lowercase).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Long ago I gave up on using Windows (TM) [Tantrum Machine], and I've
never regretted it.