(COMPLETED) Changing systems

Mike Chambers mike at mtchambers.com
Fri Nov 27 19:02:27 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 09:20 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 11/26/2015 04:00 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:57:18AM -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > > Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving,
> > >
> > > Could I take 2 HD's out of 1 computer, move them to a different
> > > computer, obviously having to reinstall grub and such, would they
> > > work
> > > without having to do much of anything else?
> > >
> > > I know I have to make sure the correct one is booted up and how
> > > they
> > > are connected, and the BIOS sees them correctly.
> > >
> > > Anything else to know first?  The computers are both pretty new
> > > so not
> > > like going from 10 year old to a 1 year old or anything, both
> > > only 3-5
> > > years old even if that old.
> >
> > that's how I "built" the system I have now. Had a pair of drives
> > in software RAID-1. pulled 'em out of the old system, plugged 'em
> > into the new system and voila (nearly) everything worked. One
> > bottleneck
> > was the network wasn't working until I fixed the hard-coded MAC
> > addresses
> > in the NIC configuration. can't think of anything else, right now,
> > that
> > didn't work.
>
> I did precisely this. The old mobo (three year old AMD Phenom,
> dual-core hyperthread for 4 cores) went kffffft! Swapped it out with
> new Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H (Intel i7 quad-core, hyperthread for 8 cores).
> Booted just fine (after it rebuilt the video driver). Had to modify
> the
> network config for the new MAC address, but all was well.
>
> All done on F22. Works a treat.

Welp, it was as simple as everyone said it would be.

I took out the 2 drives, put them in the other box.  Then I had to
modify the BIOS to reorder the boot order of the drives.  Then last
thing was modifying my router to make sure the MAC address was changed
and everything else seems to work.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY