encrypting /home partition post-install

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Nov 30 01:15:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:08:25 -0800 Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/2015 04:22 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > I do have backups in place, but I don't really want to have to go
> > back to them (one of the partitions has 367 GB of data, the other has
> > 100 GB). At the least, it will be disruptive.
>
> Disruption is unavoidable.  The tool I described earlier might be able
> to encrypt in place, but it has to be done offline.  I don't know how
> near your backups are, but it would probably take me longer to
> encrypt-in-place than to install and restore.

Thanks! Btw, either way, is it possible to encrypt a non-LVM partition? As I said before, I have xfs and ext4 filesystems and do not want to get into LVM. Tried this a year ago, and it was a royal mess.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.