encrypting /home partition post-install

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Nov 30 13:10:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:29:09 -0800 Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/2015 05:59 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Thanks! I was wondering about this some more. Can I not put this tool
> > luksipc on a LiveCD and then compile and run it from there? Then the
> > actual disks would be "offline", isn't that correct?
>
> Yes, but you don't really need to do that.  You just need to unmount the
> filesystem you want to encrypt.

But there is only one filesystem (/dev/sda) and one HDD on these two laptops. Therefore, I am not sure how to do this other than through going in through a LiveCD.

> > Btw, I also tried building an RPM of the tool. But I am stuck in the
> > step of installing in the spec file.
> > %install
> > (what do I put in here?)
>
> Maybe:
>
> install -d $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}
> install -m 755 luskipc $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}/luksipc

Thanks! I tried this but get the following error (also posted in response to Michael's suggestion).

+ install -m 755 luskipc /home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/luksipc-0.04-1.fc23.x86_64//usr/bin/luksipc
install: cannot stat 'luskipc': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.lyU1cP (%install)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.lyU1cP (%install)

Any other suggestions? The SPEC file is here:

$ fpaste luksipc.spec
Uploading (2.0KiB)...
WARNING: Could not shorten URL
http://paste.fedoraproject.org/295774/88887881