encrypting /home partition post-install

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Nov 30 14:08:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 08:38:50 -0500 Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra writes:
>
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:29:09 -0800 Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Yes, but you don't really need to do that.  You just need to unmount the
> > > filesystem you want to encrypt.
> >
> > But there is only one filesystem (/dev/sda) and one HDD on these two
> > laptops. Therefore, I am not sure how to do this other than through going in
> > through a LiveCD.
>
> In this case, this is not possible. /boot cannot be encrypted. If you have
> one / partition, and /boot lives on it, it cannot be encrypted.

Thanks! But I was talking about encrypting the /home partition which is separate. Does this make a difference?

Best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.