encrypting /home partition post-install

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 30 17:38:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 13:00 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> It does if a) there is no overhead (which is being claimed for LVM)
> and b) it doesn't burden the user, which LVM does even if you never do
> anything with it. The burden being a cognitive one: that you have to
> know it's there and understand how to interpret disk partitions.

I don't know about now, but it was noticeably slower to use LVM than
just EXT3 in a normal partition, on my old 500 MHz computer.

There's always been a drawback in abstraction.  Every hoop something has
to jump through, is a bottleneck (yay, managed to mix two metaphors).

You certainly noticed with older slower computers that having to go
through a stack of routines to do something, rather than do it directly,
has a detrimental effect.  And while people say it's not noticeable with
newer GHz processors, every slowdown builds up.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.