rpmbuild error

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:29:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:14:15 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Besides, I have always had the feeling that rpmbuild is too complicated, perhaps needlessly.

Not really. You just approach the "problem" from the wrong side.

If you wanted to compile and install the same software from source
*without* using rpmbuild, you would also need to find out which commands
to run to install the built files. Often there's some sort of README that
gives a hint. But if there is none, you need to decide yourself whether to
copy files to your system directories (or whether to execute built files
from within current directory only).

The complexity that's added by rpmbuild to the %install section of a spec
file is only that you need to install into the %buildroot and not /.