F22/23 + nvidia = no boot...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 22:03:40 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-02 at 14:50 -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 12:35:04PM -0600, linux guy wrote:
> >    I know that the nvidia driver is proprietary software.
> >    Neither F22 nor F23 will boot on my laptop with kernels from the
> > last
> >    week or so and the latest nvidia driver.  When I attempt these
> >    kernel/driver combinations, it stops on the console screen which
> > then
> >    begins flashing about once per second.  My laptop boots
> > normally if I
> >    use the nouveau driver.
> >    Does anyone know the cause or a work around for this situation ?
>
> I'm FAR from an expert, but my GUESS would be that the Nvidia driver
> doesn't yet support the newest kernels. One would hope that they will
> catch up (soon), so I think either using the last kernel with which
> it
> works, or suffer with Nouveau for a while, until they catch up.

Using 4.1.7-200 with the Nvidia driver and the akmod package with no
problems. Make sure that akmod has run correctly and terminated without
error before rebooting as there can be a race condition with dnf. See
the thread starting at
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-August/464224.html

poc