keyboard oddity

Jon LaBadie jonfu at jgcomp.com
Sat Oct 3 02:48:18 UTC 2015

For several years I have used a Logitech K800 keyboard on my
primary desktop, currently running Fedora 22.  Recently it
has been acting up, sending a stream of fives (5's) as if
I was holding down the five key and it was autorepeating.

The 5's would appear sporadically, sometimes once a day,
other times every couple of minutes.  They appeared in
xterm's, browsers, and other GUI apps and also when I
switched to one of the virtual consoles not running
X-windows.  The 5's also appeared in virtual guest OS's.

Assuming my keyboard was bad I purchased another kbd,
Logitech K330.  As expected, no 5's streamed from this
new kbd.  However when I installed the suspect K800 kbd
on my other system (running CentOS 7.1), it acts normally,
no 5's.  Swap it back to Fedora 22, I get 5's.  It has
now been back to the CentOS system for 10 days and has
not acted up once.  Only on Fedora 22.

Any clue as to what might cause such behavior on one
system but not another?

Jon H. LaBadie                 jonfu at jgcomp.com