DNF: Only one kernel-devel package allowed?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 21:21:15 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 08:06:42AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I'm assuming this is DNF and not some other change...
>
> Yum allowed multiple kernel-devel packages to be installed, dnf does not,
> which prevents you from building kernel modules for other kernel releases.
>
> Was there a good reason for this change in behavior?

This is not true.

  $ rpm -q kernel-devel | sort
  kernel-devel-4.0.4-202.fc21.x86_64
  kernel-devel-4.1.5-200.fc22.x86_64
  kernel-devel-4.1.6-200.fc22.x86_64
  kernel-devel-4.1.6-201.fc22.x86_64
  kernel-devel-4.1.7-200.fc22.x86_64
  kernel-devel-4.1.8-200.fc22.x86_64

Maybe you are confusing with kernel-headers?  If that is the case, it
has been like that for ages.  And usually that should not be a problem,
specially between minor releases (as is the case for a given Fedora
release).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu