Change ip address -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Oct 5 19:50:00 UTC 2015

On 10/05/2015 12:16 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 10/05/15 15:08, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>
>> Do you want to change the computer's IP via the GUI or the "device"?
> .
>
> The     F-22 computer.
>>
>> If it's the computer, what desktop are you using and are you using
>> Network Manager or ye oldie network scripts?
> .
>
> I was trying with the NM GUI since there is an icon at the top of my
> XFCE screen.
>

>> If it's the "device", what "device" is it?
> .
>
> The instruction says the reset device is now 1.1.1.1
>
> I need to access it at that address in order to configure it.

To change the config on F22 via the NM GUI, just right click on the
icon, select "Edit connections", select the connection you want to
change, click "Edit".

In the next screen, click on "IPv4 Settings" and change your configs
the way you want them to be (e.g. click the dropdown on "Method" and
select "Manual", then in "Addresses", select the existing config and
click "Delete", then click "Add" and fill in the blanks).

If you want this to just be temporary, you could (as root):

ifconfig <name-of-network-device> 1.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

That would set the IP address of the NIC to 1.1.1.2/24 and you could
configure the device. Then right-click on the NM GUI icon, disable and
then re-enable networking to revert back to the old settings.

Yeah, sort of clunky, but should do the job.