missing repo, no repomd, no metalink.xml

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 7 04:56:31 UTC 2015

On 10/07/2015 11:14 AM, Shane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'm using Fedora18 x86_64.  (Yes, it's old.)  Within the last few days I found that I cannot install or list anything from the fedora-18 repo via yum. I get the typical errors everybody complains about "no repomd" and "metalink.xml does not exist".  Common workarounds from google searches haven't worked.
>
>   I opened the link spit out by yum "http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-18&arch=x86_64" in a browser.  It downloaded a metalink file (no .xml suffix).  The 3rd (or so) line of the file has the following dubious message.
>
> # repo = fedora-18 arch = x86_64 error: invalid repo or arch
>
>   Following this line is a HUGE listing of available repos and architectures.  There is nothing shown for fedora-18 arch i386 or x86_64.  In fact, even fedora-source-18 repo is missing.  I don't think this is a yum problem on my system.
>
>   Is there something else I can try (yum-wise)?  If I need to report it then where?  I'm quite certain that this is the wrong list.

Nothing.  F18 was EOL a long time ago.  Updates via yum aren't available.

If you need something from the last time things were updated you need to find them and download them manually from http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/18/x86_64/  and you'll need to resolve the dependencies yourself.  (Insert the normal advice about running old, outdated, and not security patched software here)

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from computers altogether.