Xorg.bin: 99% CPU

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Wed Oct 7 18:58:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 20:21:05 +0200
"Patrick Dupre" <pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:

> Why Xorg.bin uses 99% of the CPU?

> Any idea?

I used to get that when the system was dealing with a lot of open tabs
in firefox.  It seems that tabs in firefox continue refreshing even
when they are not visible.  And so X had to deal with all the message
passing and memory munging this required.  I think it was a form of
thrashing, as competing tasks were swapped in and out of execution.

I haven't seen it for a while.  So maybe firefox doesn't do that
anymore, or the version of X deals better.  Or the kernel.  I'm running
a custom compiled 4.3 kernel, maybe that's the difference.

That it is only occurring on your system, suggests it is something
about your use case or hardware that is the culprit, in concert with
the OS.  That is, you've hit a corner case.