Change ip address -

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 06:21:55 UTC 2015

Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> writes:
> I have a device that when reset requires I set my Fedora-22 computer
> to the address 1.1.1.2 in order that I can access it at 1.1.1.1. with
> my Firefox browser.

# allow us to talk to our zoom modem at 192.168.100.1/24
/usr/sbin/ip addr add 192.168.100.2/24 dev eth0.2

Hacking routes as one of the other replies suggested will only solve
half the problem.  The packet gets flung in the right direction.  The
problem is that the return packet won't be accepted.  In fact the arp
reply won't even happen.   Assigning the appropriate interface a second
address will take care of both the outgoing and incoming packet.

Ignore the funny name of the ethernet dev.  This is actually on an
OpenWRT router.