Memroy invasion

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 9 20:52:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 11:50:48PM +0200, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Running only firefox, htop indicates: an occupation of 14.6 of the
> memory and of 11.5% for gnome-shell (actually 1.4 G/ 3G of RAM).
> This slows down the machine without clear explanation.
> Actually, it becomes a lot worst as soon as I run xmgrace for example.
> I run fc21

Instead of using htop, could you show your results with smem? Run
`smem -k` for human-friendly units. To see specifically gnome-shell or
firefox:

 smem -P gnome-shell$ -k
 smem -P firefox$ -k

Look at the USS and PSS values.... USS is, roughly, memory which
wouldn't be used if just that process weren't running. PSS divides
shared memory among processes using it.

FWIW, on my F23 system right now, up for six days, I get this for gnome-shell:

  PID User     Command                         Swap      USS      PSS      RSS
 1947 mattdm   /usr/bin/gnome-shell               0   164.1M   177.4M   219.8M

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>