Importing external abook.mab

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Oct 15 01:19:36 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 09:14 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 10/14/2015 06:56 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 10/15/2015 08:00 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>>> It seems that TB cannot import adbook.mab directly.
>>> One must first export it as one of the various text type files or vcard format.
>>>
>>> This is strange, in the sense that TB cannot decode it's own created file format
>>> and import it without burdening the user to do the exporting - especially since
>>> the .mab file might come from a long dead account.
>> But that is very easy to workaround.
>>
>> 1.  Take note of all the mab files in your T-Bird directory.
>> 2.  Add a new address book
>> 3.  Find the new mab file which is created
>> 4.  Quit T-bird
>> 5.  Copy old mab to the new mab, or just do a move
>> 6.  Start T-Bird
>> 7.  Done  (And I have done that many times)
>>
> So I have to end up with many .mab files?

Nope....

1.  Open address book GUI
2.  Highlight all the entries in the new address book.
3.  Drag and Drop to the original address book, usually "Personal Address Book"
4.  Delete the new address book

> Does TB look  into all of them when you start typing a recipient name and tries to auto-complete?

Yes.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from computers altogether.