F22 Gnome freezing on network change

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Oct 16 17:08:08 UTC 2015

On 10/16/2015 08:23 AM, Shawn Badger wrote:
> I have been searching this off and on for a while but haven't put a
> bunch of time into it. On both my desktop and laptop Gnome will
> occasionally freeze for a few seconds to minutes when the network is
> changed (VPN disconnect or connect, wireless network change, unplug
> network cable). Every time the keyboard and mouse remain functional as
> does the app that has focus but I can not switch apps. On occasion the
> laptop will actually freeze long enough (>10 minutes) that I just get
> tired of waiting for it and have to do a hard shutdown.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> A little info on the computers i'm seeing this on:
>
> Desktop
> Asus desktop with a I5, 16GB memory and a 512GB SSD for the OS. Nvidia
> and Virtual box proprietary kernel modules from RPM Fusion
>

> Laptop
> IBM T61 with 4gb and a 512GB SSD. Virtual box proprietary kernel module
> from RPM Fusion

For one possibility, there are a number of things that depend on DNS
resolution which will stall until a) DNS starts working again; or b)
the DNS timeout expires (up to a minute generally). There are other
things that may be dependent on the network being there and may pause
or lock up if you yank the rug out from under them, network-wise. Just
think of all the stuff that's trying to sort out their routes, or your
machine having to invalidate all its ARP cache entries, etc.

I use XFCE for the most part and I've seen similar things, but I
understand what's dependent on the network so it doesn't surprise me.
I also manage somewhere around 300 servers (no desktops) and odd things
can occur if the network isn't solid. After a period of time, most sort
themselves out, but sometimes it takes a network restart or a complete
reboot to get back into some form of order.
-  "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick"  -
-     themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."       -
-                                  -- Winston Churchill              -