OT: but could be useful to other users also

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 19 02:06:43 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 18 October 2015, jd1008 sent:
> I understand, but I am puzzled why there are cables (as Ed showed)
> that have USB A on one end and eSata on the other, without any
> protocol converter in between.

Well, I would guess it's either what I said (there's some circuitry
embedded in one or both of the connectors on the cable) or what Ed said
(the hardware has dual-functionality - in which case I'd only connect
the unusual conversion cable to these particular devices, not attempting
it with something else).

Kind of like the dual-mode USB/PS2 mice and keyboards.  They came with
an adaptor plug so you could plug it into either the USB or PS/2 port.
Sometimes the adaptor had electronics that converted USB to PS/2,
emulating the PS/2 mouse or keyboard (so any USB mouse or keyboard could
be plugged in a PS/2 port on the computer).  Sometimes the mouse or
keyboard was dual-purpose, and the adaptor was just one socket wired to
the plug, and the mouse of keyboard changed the way it worked depending
on it detecting how it was connected (so these adaptors were only of any
use with those particular mice and keyboards).

My understanding of it is that USB and SATA are electrically different,
never mind different in the technique used for how the data goes down
the line.  I seriously would not expect to be able to simply connect any
USB device to any SATA host, or vice versa, by using a cable with
nothing other than different plugs at each end.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

If you don't understand how e-mail threading works, then follow the
instructions given by those who do, and don't argue with them.