What is hanging systemctl?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:53:38 UTC 2015

On 10/19/2015 05:35 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Looks like it wasn't just cron related stuff. When I finally
> made it to the cleanup phase of the update, every single
> try-restart hung till I killed it for every service being
> updated, not just cron related stuff.

Yes, that is expected.  Any user lookup will hang.  Any daemon that
starts which doesn't run as root will need to look up the user as which
it runs, as well as any group memberships.  That means that even when
the user is in the local files, the network identity systems are queried
for group memberships, and that will hang.

sssd might fix that, but NIS isn't natively supported, so you'd have to
do pass-through authentication.  I'm not familiar with pass-through
auth, so I'm unsure if that would actually provide a work-around.  As
long as you're using NIS, you probably should ensure that there are
redundant servers.