OT: but could be useful to other users also

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:50:48 UTC 2015

On 10/19/2015 11:32 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 11:20 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 10/19/2015 10:03 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>>> OK, so I went back to searching and found this item:
>>>
>>> http://www.newertech.com/products/esatatousb3.php
>>>
>>> It internal converts eSata to usb3.0 protocol.
>>
>> Which is the opposite of what you said you need:
>>
>>    "Connect your eSATA equipped external drive to a USB 3.0 port for
>>    SuperSpeed data transfer!"
>>

>> If the thing you're looking for exists, I've never seen it.  I really
>> don't think it does.
>>
>> Note that USB devices expect power, and eSata doesn't provide it. If
>> you find a device that does what you want, one of the indications
>> will be that it comes with a power supply of its own. It won't be a
>> cable, alone, nor will it be an adapter without a power supply.
> Did I?
> I thought I said my external drive is usb3.0 with Micro-B connector
> and my laptop has eSata female port.
>
> Howver, what I read about this item is that
> it can be used in either direction:
> eSata device to usb port on laptop
> usb3 device to esata port on laptop.
>
> Only the cabling is what you need to add.

Just talked to their techies.
It is indeed uni-directional from usb3 computer port to esata device :( :(

The good news is I found a much less expensive device on ebay which
also will pass power through my laptop's powered eSata port out
to female usb port and female eSata port (only one can be used at a time).
So far, the devices I have found are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151619888088 (power
esata to usb)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141687702188 (usb3.0
micro-B  to USB connector type A Female)

So, this setup will only require your ordinary USB cable to connect the
2 adapters together.

Not 100% certain it will work.