btrfs crashing at boot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Oct 20 10:51:31 UTC 2015

btrfs-convert I think is still broken. The last time I tried it, I was
able to easily break it if the original ext4 has one or more large
(1+GiB) files. There's more details in the Btrfs list archives on
this. There are some developers working to fix some things, but I
don't know the status of it all.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Conversion_from_Ext3

So far I haven't had convert eat a file system, so at least you can
extract your data from the file system to create a new one.
Unfortunately since it's mounting ro, there's no way to create a
read-only snapshot of the file system with which to use btrfs
send-receive to migrate it to a new Btrfs file system. So you'll need
to use rsync.

Anaconda, on live installs, uses rsync -pogAXtlHrDx flags, so that
will work for you whether you copy the data to a new ext4 or Btrfs
filesystem.

Chris Murphy