btrfs crashing at boot

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 11:53:56 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 01:00:53PM +0200, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Ah yes here we go, from today even more info on status of convert.
> Gist is that it is broken and it's not certain when it will be fixed,
> hopefully for 4.3 kernel and progs (it most likely will take both
> since convert is part of btrfs-progs is responsible for reading ext4,
> and then the kernel is responsible for writing the data+metadata to
> Btrfs).
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg48330.html

Thanks for the pointers to the status of convert.  This is not critical
data, so it's alright even if something goes wrong.  Your rsync options
will be very helpful for a future move to btrfs for my /.

In the meantime, I managed to resolve my problems.  I have several
multi-GB files on this drive, I had deleted a few large files from the
gui (meaning, they were still in lost+found).  That's when the problem
started.  I could see them in the l+f, but could not remove or restore
them.  Since the filesystem was rw for the first few seconds, I resorted
to a kludge: mount and try to empty the l+f before it turns ro, unmount,
rinse repeat.  Each time I tried, I removed a few of the files.  It took
me maybe 4-5 tries to clean about 10 files.  Ever since I did this, I
have had no problems.  I plan to run a scrub sometime soon, maybe
tonight.

Thanks again, without your warning, I might have run convert on my /.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu