file sharing, screen sharing printer sharing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 23 00:53:14 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 18:35 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> no, I don't think that is a problem of DNS, I am surfing fine.

For Samba, and other internal networking, you need to be able to resolve
the names of the local machines.

If you try to use the dig command with a machine hostname, do you get
it's IP?  And what about the reverse, if you do a dig -x followed by a
localmachine's IP address, does it get the right hostname as an answer?

Alternatively (if you don't have dig installed), if you try pinging
another local machine's hostname, does that work (do pings work, does it
ping the right IP)?  Even if pings don't get answered (due to
firewalls), if it tries to ping the right IP, then resolution ought to
be working fine.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.