Bluetooth woes (again)

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Oct 26 21:01:41 UTC 2015

On 10/26/2015 01:33 PM, Greg Woods wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com <mailto:pocallaghan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Then why do my BT devices (mouse, headphones, an external speaker
>     system) show up under the BT settings dialogue?
>

> Maybe those devices can work with or without the dongle? Or maybe these
> devices are somehow different than the devices I have experience with,
> that used Bluetooth to communicate with the dongle, but didn't require
> any Bluetooth software on the system, they showed up as USB devices.

Those sorts of devices often have full-up driver stuff built into the
dongle, so the dongle itself does all the wireless stuff required
without bothering the system. Then, yes, they appear as USB devices
because that's all the dongle presents to the USB port. They're not
general-purpose BT dongles. My Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse does
precisely that. The wireless mouse shows up in "lsusb" as a USB-PS2
wireless mouse, but NOT as a BT mouse (because it isn't BT).

I have a Broadcom USB BT dongle. The BT dongle shows up in an "lsusb"
as a BT dongle.  Remember, Bluetooth means it uses RF in the correct
frequency bands and adheres to the Bluetooth protocols and that's all
it means.